FIRE crews were called to a house blaze in Ashford last night.
Two pumps, from Ashford's Green Watch headed by crew manager Tim Hanley, and from Aldington, went to a semi-detached house in Repton Manor Road at 8.25pm.
Breathing apparatus and positive pressure ventilation - a giant fan - were used as the crews fought the fire on the ground floor for 90 minutes.
One young woman got out of the house before the fire service arrived. There were no injuries but the property was severely heat and smoke damaged.
A spokesman for Ashford Fire Station said: "It was quite serious. Luckily the young woman smelt the smoke but if it had been later she might not have done and she didn't have a smoke alarm.
"We would like to remind people to make sure they have a smoke alarm and to make sure it is tested, especially with Christmas coming up."