Sex shop wins its battle for licence
| Posted: January 21, 2013
Cllrs Jackie Prance and Nasir Jamil from Southborough are angry the Secret Desires sex shop in London Road has had it's licence renewed
THE CONTROVERSIAL sex shop in the centre of Southborough has won a renewal of its licence despite concerns about its close proximity to several schools.
While parents insisted lessons learnt in the Jimmy Savile case must be applied here, Tunbridge Wells borough councillors insisted they could not take into account moral objections and agreed to grant another year's licence to Secret Desires, in London Road.
The decision at last week's licensing sub-committee led to calls from Southborough's mayor that there should be a change in the way applications are assessed.
Parents and grandparents who attended Thursday's meeting told the Courier they were incensed at the outcome.
Alison Wass, a 49-year-old with two teenage daughters, who lives in Rusthall, told the committee: "What has changed since the shop was last licensed is the Savile story. He had secret desires and designs on little children and we are concerned that a shop that calls itself Secret Desires is in the vicinity of five schools."
Caroline Hunter, a mother-of-four from Bidborough, agreed: "We need to look at the actual name of the shop. Does it not inspire youngsters to be interested and investigate?
"Nothing has changed in the 40 years between what Jimmy Savile was doing and what men do now."
Vincent Connolly, regional manager of the company that runs Secret Desires and representing the sex shop's owner Kathleen Sutton, said: "All objections relating to the vicinity of the shop to nearby schools were considered and rejected when the licence was first granted in 2005.
"Since then the shop has been running within the conditions set out by the council and has never received any complaints.
"I'm surprised by the opposition to this after five years of no objections. The Jimmy Savile issue is irrelevant in this case.
"There are laws protecting children and it's absolutely nothing to do with our company."
Elizabeth Pisani, 81, from Rusthall, was also at the meeting and said: "I'm very disappointed in the decision. I used to be a primary school teacher and I saw what happens when children are negatively influenced. I think the shop is a negative influence in the area.
"If what they sell is so wonderful why isn't it in Boots?"
Councillor Victor Webb, who sat on the committee, said: "Some people might think that it is better for the shop to be on the main road, where it is visible and accountable, rather than down some side street creating a ghetto."
Ian Bauckham, the head teacher of the nearby Bennett Memorial Diocesan School, said: "At a time of such concern over the risks to young people of being sexualised at too early an age it is a matter of regret that this shop has been allowed to continue to exist prominently in the heart of our community. It causes offence and embarrassment to many."
Councillor Jacqueline Prance, of Southborough Town Council, said: "Does Tunbridge Wells Borough Council really take Southborough's interests to heart?
"People don't like where it is as well as what it is. It's just an irritant – nobody really wants it here but nobody seems able to stop it."




Comments