Login Register

Nude man in snow hunted by 30 police and chopper in Golden Green, Tonbridge

By Tonbridge Courier  |  Posted: January 25, 2013

A police helicopter descended on Golden Green to find a naked man walking in the snow

Comments (1)

THIRTY officers and a police helicopter descended on a Tonbridge hamlet after reports of a naked man walking in the snow.

Police carried out house-to-house enquiries during the two-hour hunt in Golden Green on Saturday, but could not find any trace of the mystery young man.

Patrol cars turned up just after 4pm after a local woman reported seeing a man by the River Medway wearing nothing but a backpack.

Sherenden Park resident Gill Shiers said police knocked on her door at about 5pm.

"They asked if we could check our back garden because a young man in his late 20s had been seen walking around disorientated and he had a black backpack on," she told the Courier.

"They were worried because of the cold weather, they didn't want him wandering around."

Mrs Shiers added: "I heard the man wanted to jump into the river. Apparently he had taken his clothes off and a person who saw him had tried to persuade him to put them on because it was cold.

"I think it's really sad, we just want to know he's alright."

Twenty minutes later, a search and rescue helicopter was spotted hovering over nearby fields.

Another resident, whom the Courier agreed not to name, said: "It alarmed quite a few people. It was quite extraordinary for a little hamlet, such a bizarre thing.

"Police were searching back gardens with torches looking for this guy. All this activity seemed a bit strange."

But after two hours of searching to no avail, the mission was called off. Police do not know what happened to the man and had no reports of missing people matching his description in Kent.

A spokesman said: "Kent Police were called at 3.48pm on Saturday, January 20 by a member of the public concerned after seeing a man walking in the snow near the River Medway in Golden Green.

"The woman was concerned for the man's welfare so alerted police.

"A thorough search of the area took place, involving around 30 officers and a search and rescue helicopter. The search was called off at 5.45pm with the male having not been found.

"Officers confirmed there were no missing persons in the county matching the man's description and that a proportionate response had been given, with all lines of enquiry followed through."

Read more from Kent and Sussex Courier

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • Kent_Resident  |  January 25 2013, 11:42AM

    I was going to say ''what a waste of resources'' until I read the rest of the report above. Let's hope he didn't jump in and drown in the freezing waters then. He must need help if he is not in sound mind.

    |   5