Login Register

Late promotion push is still on after victory

By Kent and Sussex Courier  |  Posted: August 16, 2013

Comments (0)

TUNBRIDGE Wells kept their form and late assault on promotion going with another hard-fought win on Saturday.

Mark Dekker's side chose to bat first with opener Chris Williams scoring 25 before the bowlers added to their earlier strike.

Home progress was uneven as the score rose to 92-4 from 18 overs, of which Ryan Bailey (34) had contributed six fours before Liam Evans (3-42) found a way through.

Brough Cooper joined Evert Bekker as 97 runs were added to the home effort with nine overs left to play out.

The pair had reached 22 apiece when Cooper reached a vigorous 58 (nine fours, one six) before going aerial once too often.

Bekker too had found some form and moved past 50 as Sandwich Town snapped up two more wickets to take the tally to 247-7 with ten balls left.

Bekker and Chris Fenwick now ran frantically to take 17 from this remnant. When the dust had settled, Wells had posted 264-7 and Bekker was unbeaten on 75.

Sandwich Town's reply scored 23 from three overs, but a wicket broke the momentum and the second-wicket partnership added 137 runs to leave 105 required from 15 overs.

Craig Snell (71) lashed the quickies, in particular, but Robert Goatham (108) played all comers.

From 160-2, the bowlers struggled in vain and at 229-4, the ask had become 36 from 24 balls.

Matthew Green removed Goatham at 239, and thereafter almost every shot played went in the air and was safely caught.

Six wickets crashed in the flurry to hit out and the game finished with a dozen runs standing in Wells' favour. In all, eight catches were taken.

Tunbridge Wells' seconds travelled to Sandwich Town, where a fine team performance from Wells brought about a successful chase, Sandwich having been kept to 190-6 in their 50 overs.

Sandwich built a total of 90-2 after 30 overs, David Scroggins (78no) anchoring the effort thereafter, although a flurry of wickets in the last few overs was the outcome of Wells' constant pressure.

Youngster Jack Wood netted 2-43 from 11 overs.

Wells were reduced to 41-3 after ten overs, but Sam Stickler (65, 12 boundaries) attacked well, with youthful Marcus O'Riordan giving vital assistance.

The loss of Stickler at 118 burdened the batsmen, but Simon Routh joined O'Riordan (51no) in an unbroken fifth-wicket stand of 76 that took their side to victory and another 20 points.

Read more from Kent and Sussex Courier

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters