Login Register

Collin strikes but Tonbridge Angels are beaten by Farnborough

By Glenn46  |  Posted: February 02, 2013

George Purcell missed a glorious chance to equalise

Comments (0)

Blue Square South
Tonbridge Angels 2 Farnborough 3
Tonbridge Angels laid siege to the Farnborough goal in the last 10 minutes this afternoon, but couldn't do enough to snatch a point.
Tommy Warriow's side had been given hope when Mark Lovell nodded home Frannie Collin's free-kick 15 minutes from time to make it 3-2, but wasted a raft of chances to get the equaliser. As it was, Farnborough went home celebrating their sixth straight victory against Angels, who gifted the visitors all three goals.
The hosts started well and should have been 1-0 up inside five minutes. Collin pulled the ball back to Lee Browning, whose shot fell to Nathan Green at the far post. However, the winger somehow lifted his shot over from two yards out. Moments later Farnborough thought they had taken the lead, but Josh Huggins was adjudged offside.
Green, despite the miss, looked dangerous early on and Angels dominated the most of the play. However, the game was marred by a nasty injury to the visitors' keeper, Craig Bradshaw, who, rushing out of goal, collided with Green and suffered a broken leg on 15 minutes. A lengthy stoppage ensued and it knocked the stuffing out of both teams for a while.
Farnborough, against the run of play, took the lead on 25 minutes with a well rehearsed corner routine. Dave Tarpey found Reece Connolly running in at the near post and he flicked the ball home. It was all too easy.
Farnborough soon made it 2-0. Nic Ciardini waltzed through the Angels defence - missing Olly Schulz who was ill - saw his first effort cleared off the line by Henry Muggeridge and his second hit the post, before it rebounded to Reece Connolly, who had a tap-in.
Angels got back into it on 37 minutes and what a strike it was from Frannie Collin. The top scorer fired home a free-kick from fully 35 yards right into the top corner. Mind you, sub keeper Jamie Norris was slow to react.
The hosts' skipper, Gary Elphick, wasn't having his best game and his slip allowed Tarpey in just before half-time, but the Farboorough forward fired wide.
Angels were slow getting going after the break and Farnborough looked to have tied things up on the hour mark when Tarpey, on the left edge of the area, lashed a shot home from the tightest of angles. Lee Worgan will have been disappointed to let the shot in at his near post.
The goal completely knocked the stuffing out of Angels who seemed bereft of ideas. Tom Davis looked great one minute, but the next would give the ball away, while Collin was getting very little service.
Out of nothing, however, Angels got back into it once again. Collin whipped in a free-kick and Lovell got the faintest of touches to make it 3-2.
The last quarter was all Angels. They had no less than seven corners as they laid siege to the Farnborough goal. Aaron Gayle headed a Green corner wide, while Sonny Miles saw his effort blocked. The best chance fell to substitute George Purcell, but he drilled his shot miles wide. He should have at least hit the target.
On Tuesday, Angels host Bromley in the Kent Cup.

Read more from Kent and Sussex Courier

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters